Founded in 1994, NPIMR is today one of the UK’s leading charity-based independent Medical Research Institutes working to translate ground breaking Medical Research rapidly into patient care. By maintaining our own top-rate research facilities, we ensure the highest standard of science for translation into the clinic.
Our focus is on:
- Heart Disease and Stroke – two of the major killers of our time
- Organ Regeneration and Transplantation – improving quality of life as well as saving lives
- Cot Death and Neo-natal Disorders – including early miscarriage, intra-uterine growth retardation (IURG) and preventing the transmission of AIDS from mother to child
- Proteomics – the study of proteins and the application of this knowledge to finding diagnostic markers for MRSA and C.difficile
- Our high calibre scientists are translating innovative ideas into new treatments for patient in areas where the need is acute. Although independent, NPIMR collaborates with the major UK academic institutes and industry.
In 2008 NPIMR became an affiliated institute of University College London (UCL – Ranked 4th in the world). We are very excited by this connection and the opportunities it presents, but retaining our independent status has meant that we can continue working with other academic institutions (Imperial College, Cambridge, Oxford, Brunel, Southampton, Leeds) where we feel the connection will lead to the quickest route to advanced research and higher level patient care.